If you are planning to visit a country, then you should always try out their most popular foods, because their food can tell you a lot about the beliefs, traditions and habits of their people. In the same sense, if you have been planning to visit Ghana, then you must definitely try out their most popular foods. There are a lot of reasons to visit Ghana and their food and culture is just of the many such reasons. Their most popular foods are mouth-watering and nourishing and will definitely leave you yearning for more.
Top 7 Ghanaian foods that you must have once in your lifetime
So, without much further ado, let’s have a look at some of the top Ghanaian foods that you definitely must try out, in your next trip to Ghana!
- Chichinga: – It is often said that if you truly want to experience the taste of any country’s cuisine, then street food is the best place to start! And with respect to Ghana, there is no looking beyond the chichinaga! It is able to meticulously portray the taste of Ghana with its kebabs that are made from beef and sausages. It is Ghana’s top street food for a reason and you should definitely check it out! Though you won’t find it all the restaurants in east legon, you will definitely find it on the streets of Ghana! It’s omnipresent in nature.
- Red Red: – Most people don’t really like beans but Red is one of those delicious dishes that have managed to make people reconsider their culinary preferences. The Red is cooked in a fine bean curry and it comes with either a mix of fish or prawns. It is one of the most delicious and extremely popular Ghanaian foods, which you just can’t afford to miss and must order in restaurants in east legon.
- Banku: – If you are one of those people who have an affinity for corn, then you are definitely going to love Banku. Banku is made from fermented corn and is often served with meat and fish. It is another one of the top Ghanaian foods that you just can’t afford to miss, on your next trip to Ghana, especially when you planning to visit restaurants in east legon.
- Fried rice with chicken :- Fried rice with chicken also known as Jollof rice is Ghana’s local take on fried rice, which is extensively popular around the world and readily available in restaurants in east legon. It is delicious and will surely leave you yearning for more. It is made from tomatoes and traditional spices and is usually served with crispy fried chicken.
- Waakye: – Ghanaian people love their rice and beans and if there was one dish which could justifiably display their love for the same, then it has to be the Waakye, which is actually pronounced as Wa Chi! It is a very popular food and is available in restaurants in east legon with either fried fish, or egg or even spaghetti!
- Strawberry Fool: – No cuisine in any part of the world is every complete without dessert, so just how can Ghana be left behind? Considered one of the best Ghanaian dishes, it is made from cream, wine and strawberries and is readily available in restaurants in east legon. It is the perfect blend of wine and cream with the magical and proportionate hint of strawberry. It is so good that it can even change your very perception of desserts. It is another one of the top Ghanaian foods, which you just can’t afford to miss!
- Groundnut soup: – Ghana is known for a lot of things and soup is one of them. Different varieties of groundnut sups are very popular in and around Ghana. It may look like curry but doesn’t taste anything curry. Goat meat and beef commonly are added in this soup. It is one dish, which you should definitely have when you visit restaurants in east legon.
The Bottom Line
There you go. That was a list of the top 7 and best Ghanaian foods that you must definitely try out, on your next visit to the country. You will surely find all of them, except the chichinga, in most restaurants in east legon and in other places in Ghana!